a diary of what i love and what i do

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Rebecca Martinez

Last night I attended Reborning for the second time and they had a Q&A afterwards with the Reborners (the artists that make the dolls). I got another peek into another world. These women are dedicated, passionate and talented. As strange and disturbing their work may seem on the group level, I am moved and have mad respect for what they do.

Rebecca Martinez is talented photographer who works with these women and their dolls. She also photographs mannequins "after they have become individuals. As they become 'flawed' and reflect their experiences, they more truly represent us". I rather enjoyed her artist statement and especially the photographs. It seems fitting for where I'm at these days....unraveled. Naked. The packaging coming undone. The tricky part is learning to love myself for where I'm at, flawed and all.