a diary of what i love and what i do

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Baa Baa black sheep. Have you any wool?

My dear friend Annie invited me to join her in a sheep shearing adventure in Petaluma. It was a magical day. I got an inside look of all the precious time and love that goes into the wool we wear everyday. It is a very intricate process and I have a new respect and appreciation for the people and animals behind such a production.

Just an hour north of the city is rolling hills of green, sprinkled with fields of yellow mustard seed. Old abandoned farms with rusted tin and wood. Birds with vibrant colors swirling in a sky of blue. Puffy clouds that you could bounce on. The smell of the raw earth blowing through the wind. Good company. Beauty beyond words. Almost too much for me to handle.

Luckily we missed our turn and ran into these fellows.
The sheep.
 The ram.
This sheep shearer is in high demand and once I saw him in action, it was very clear why. He works with such peace and grace. He shears their wool in one whole piece, clips their hooves, checks their teeth, gives them shots and then tags their ears if needed. I could have watched him work for hours. There is an obvious mutual love between man and animal. I loved it.
The wool.
The yarn.
The little things.
Tweedle.