a diary of what i love and what i do

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Color Me Pink

Mark Rothko.

One of my favorite painters. These images don't do his work justice. His pieces are enormous and vibrant. When I am looking at one in person I am overwhelmed with emotion. While I do appreciate the details of a portrait or something more defined and detailed, I am moved by Rothko's use of just color. But it isn't "just" color is it?

Abstract : to simplify an object down to it's essential basics, removing all superfluous details.

Expressionism : art distorted or exaggerated and colors are intensified for emotive or expressive purposes.

I tried to paint my own Rothko inspired piece one day, it wasn't easy and it didn't even come close. In short, it's harder than it looks. I hope everyone gets to see one in person one day. The one below is a permanent piece at the SF Moma. Sometimes I go there, just to sit in front of it for a long while and be quiet.